Goooood question! December 2, 2018 I created a behavioral sticker system for myself to help me keep heading in the RIGHT DIRECTION! I shared this system on Connect and the first couple gals that joined me started calling themselves my “Sticker Babies”! The name STUCK! And now there are close to 250 of us!
This system does not make our paths perfect. It helps us navigate them when they’re not! (Which is EVERYDAY!)
We are STICKING together and discovering ways to KEEP OURSELVES moving forward… and building momentum! We would LOVE LOVE LOVE for you to join us!!! Read this original post below… and be sure to watch all of the videos!
Also… check out #stickerbaby on Connect for some EXTREMELY INSPIRING POSTS! It’s AMAZING how things can change when we stop telling ourselves to “DO BETTER!” and we start telling ourselves “You are doing SO GOOD!”
We are CELEBRATING the little moments that keep us moving forward and RECOGNIZING OPPORTUNITES to keep us moving in that direction… FORWARD!!!
This is POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT… and we are doing it both ON OUR OWN, and TOGETHER! We don’t have to depend on others to offer SPECIFIC PRAISE and ENCOURAGEMENT… we can offer that TO OURSELVES!
Sticker To It is ALREADY helping people to:
– bust through weight loss plateaus
– get to their GOAL WEIGHTS
– learn to LOVE THEMSELVES
– stay FOCUSED
– MANAGE STRESS
– STOP procrastinating
We are going to get 10 years from now 10 minutes at a time. What really matters is our next move.
This will help you with that.
Stickers are both the CAUSE and the EFFECT of our behaviors. We are GIVING OURSELVES Stickers for DOING BEHAVIORS that we want to do again (reinforcing them) and we are DOING BEHAVIORS to EARN Stickers. Our behaviors are being reinforced by both using Stickers as IMMEDIATE “rewards” and by using Stickers as dangling carrots… dangling RIGHT in front of our noses. (INSTANT gratification) We are helping ourselves to WANT to behave differently. This is a PRACTICAL way to CREATE MOTIVATION.
Where my stickerbaby’s at? I’ve got STICKER NEWS!!! 🤣 I have OFFICIALLY given this a name. Instead of calling this “my behavioral sticker system” it shall be called…
Sticker To It!
(get it?… like “stick to it” only its STICKER to it??!!)
Here are THE ORIGINAL BEHAVIORAL STICKER SYSTEM VIDEOS… I put them together and on YouTube for easier access.
Watch “Sticker To It – behavioral sticker system” on YouTube
– Sticker Babies… Thank you all so much for joining me on this. It’s humbling to realize JUST HOW MUCH HELP I NEED… and I surrender!!!… I will take ALL THE HELP I CAN GET! Let’s keep moving in the RIGHT DIRECTION, one behavior, one decision, one STICKER, at a time… TOGETHER!!!
– If you would like to BECOME a sticker baby… HAPPY BIRTHDAY! All you need is a notebook, some stickers, a few meaningful numbers, and opportunities to make good decisions! PLEASE READ the final post on here titled “Dear Future Sticker Babies”!!!
LET’S TALK NUMBERS!!!
– If you want help crunching numbers let me know! I would be happy to help!! The idea is that the numbers you choose would be motivating to you PERSONALLY!
So… instead of choosing arbitrary round numbers and celebrating after you earn 10 stickers, then 20, then 50, then 100… you could have your highest number be your very next goal weight (a BENCHMARK on your way to goal)… just a few pounds from where you are! And the numbers less than that can be meaningful and incremental. That way you don’t have to wait until your highest number to celebrate!
Or!! If you don’t want to include your weight you could choose other numbers that are special to you! Maybe your favorite number is 12, all your numbers could be multiples of 12… For instance: 12, 48, and 144!
When I figure “Numbers” for people, I get their Starting Weight, their Current Weight, and their Goal Weight. I take their CURRENT WEIGHT and divide it by their STARTING WEIGHT and figure out what PERCENTAGE they have lost already! I then choose a PERCENTAGE that is SLIGHTLY GREATER than that and figure out how many pounds lost that would be, and what weight that new percentage would put them at. I choose a goal that is not too far away but not too close either! Typically somewhere around 5 lbs from where they are. Their new goal weight becomes a BENCHMARK for them on their way to their ultimate goal weight! I also make sure to not have too large of a gap between numbers so that no one has to wait too long between REWARDS! Typically the largest gap is somewhere around 100 stickers or less!
– Celebrate earning those amount of stickers over and over… repeating the numbers… until you get to that new goal weight! And then come up with new numbers! For example: if your Numbers are 8, 26, 94, and 147… earn 8 stickers then give yourself a REWARD, then KEEP EARNING STICKERS until you get to 26 then give yourself ANOTHER REWARD!! And so on! Once you’ve earned 147 stickers, start back over at 0 and repeat celebrating those numbers until you WEIGH 147… then it will be time for new Numbers!!
– We are NOT trying to earn a certain number of stickers every day! We are taking life and stress as it comes and RECOGNIZING OPPORTUNITIES to get a Sticker in our book! You will become proficient at identifying “forks in the road”, or Sticker Opportunities throughout your day! Our most difficult days or events are EXCELLENT opportunities to earn Stickers!! So many Sticker Worthy decisions to make!
– If you are out and you either don’t have your notebook with you or you are somewhere where you cannot be putting stickers in a book, text yourself the behaviors that you want to reward yourself for later! I text myself 2 or 3 sticker worthy behaviors often… and then add the stickers to my book when I can!
– Give yourself only 1 sticker PER behavior. This will keep EACH INDIVIDUAL STICKER valuable and meaningful and also keep us aware that EACH INDIVIDUAL BEHAVIOR is valuable and meaningful! This is a one-to-one ratio. However! ONE MEAL could potentially earn you SEVERAL STICKERS!! Passed on the rolls? Sticker. Chose water over soda? Sticker. Got the 6 oz. instead of the 9 oz.? Sticker. Said “No, thank you!” on dessert. Sticker. Also! ONE ITEM could result in several stickers over a period of time! I have given myself SEVERAL stickers for choosing NOT TO EAT the same exact item SEVERAL DIFFERENT TIMES over the course of one day! EACH of those stickers represented a unique moment where I came to a fork in the road and decided not to stick my fork in the banana bread! Sticker.
– FEEL FREE to give yourself a sticker for an NSV. I am ALL FOR celebrating and rewarding! However! Not all NSV’s are OUR ACTIONS. Keep in mind that these stickers are for MAKING DECISIONS that will lead us to our goals! We are rewarding ourselves and reinforcing behaviors that we are IN CONTROL OF! If your tight jeans fit again or someone gives you a compliment on your weight loss and you want to give yourself a Sticker, go for it! But that is NOT the point of this system. The compliment (obviously) came from someone else, and the jeans now fitting is a RESULT of many excellent actions, not actually an action. This system reinforces OUR ACTIONS. Just like I wrote on the inside cover of my sticker book “Each sticker represents a conscious decision that got me one step closer to goal!” Having said that… staying positive and encouraging and rewarding OURSELVES will help keep us heading right direction! So! You could give yourself a sticker for an NSV, and then give yourself another sticker for giving yourself a sticker!
– The only positive behaviors that I DO NOT give myself a sticker for are ones that I believe I’m already in the habit of doing! And I PURPOSELY do not give myself a sticker for these because I want to send my brain the message that these behaviors are now my NEW NORMAL! Telling my brain there is no need to reinforce them with Stickers! They are now reinforced AUTOMATICALLY as I now do them AUTOMATICALLY! I have determined that they are worth repeating and have successfully reinforced them to the point that they are now part of how I operate! You will not get bored of reinforcing behaviors as you realize the behaviors you are reinforcing are ALWAYS CHANGING! If you are not sure if a behavior has truly become a habit of yours, ERR on the side of GIVING YOURSELF A STICKER!!! Better too many stickers than too few!!
– NEVER EVER EVER TAKE AWAY A STICKER as a punishment for a NON STICKER moment! Our STICKER MOMENTS and our NON STICKER MOMENTS are mutually exclusive!! They DO NOT cancel each other out! We are NOT keeping score! We are NOT keeping tallies! We are MOVING FORWARD and celebrating the times that we RECOGNIZE a fork in the road… a STICKER OPPORTUNITY… and we choose the path that will lead us towards our goal! As we head down THAT path, we will come to MORE forks in the road… MORE opportunities to choose… if we CHOOSE (and yes, it’s a choice!) to veer off in the wrong direction for a little while the consequences of THAT choice are enough!
We can think of it like taking a road trip. Our goal is our destination, our behaviors (at “forks” in the road) are the turns we take on our trip. So let’s say we are about to embark on a journey… super excited… heading to a place we’ve never been. Our GPS is down and we have to use a map. At every turn we take that leads us CLOSER to our goal… Hooray! We’re getting closer! If we were to take a wrong turn, that sent us further from our goal there would be NO NEED to punish ourselves! Getting further from our goal is PUNISHMENT ENOUGH! We would just pause for a second, analyze where we are, and figure out what we needed to do to next! And we would DEFINITELY not need to go BACK to where we had made a correct turn previously and change anything! The most important thing for us to do at that point would be to FOCUS ON OUR NEXT TURN and recognize that we have the opportunity to redirect ourselves and continue heading towards our goal!
This reminds me of that game we used to play as a child… searching for an object someone would tell you “warmer, warmer, warmer… uh-oh! colder, colder… ok, good… warmer, warmer!!” We DO NOT need to punish ourselves for getting colder! Getting further from our goal IS THE NATURAL CONSEQUENCE!
(This is behavioral psychology… You NEVER take a reward away from a child that has earned it… that will ONLY discourage them from working hard to earn that NEXT reward thinking “Why bother… it will just get taken away.”)
KEEP MOVING forward… KEEP FOCUSING on your NEXT BEHAVIOR… your NEXT STICKER OPPORTUNITY!! And TRUST ME when I say… I remind myself of these things daily!! I give myself Stickers for MOVING FORWARD!
– RECOGNIZE, REINFORCE, REWARD, REPEAT!!!
Published by hellohealthyweight
Hi! My name is Emily.
I am a faithful follower of Christ. I trust Him with my life and aim to obey Him always. He has carried me through difficult days and dark times and there is nowhere I would rather be than in His light.
I am honored to be Greg Myers' wife and have had the pleasure of being married to him for 16 years. Greg is the gift of my life. He and I are college sweethearts and are now raising our 5 beautiful children on our farm in Western Kentucky. We are the proud parents of Thomas, Charlie, Franklin, Clara, and Mary. I am in awe of the gifts God has entrusted us with.
I am in awe of our life, and often in SHOCK of our crazy home. No seriously... shock. HOW... HOW does it get SO CRAZY MESSY so fast? Should we just haul it all off and be done with it?!? I have recently decided that when I start to feel "behind" in some areas of my life I am going to tell myself it must mean SURELY I am "ahead" in other areas of my life... because I KNOW I am not sitting around doing nothing! (That literally just made me laugh outloud.)
I earned a Bachelor's degree in Learning and Behavior Disabilities and a Master's degree in Administration... both from Murray State University. Basically my Bachelor's was in behavior and my Master's was in Leadership. I have been trained to lead behavior.
I taught Special Education for 5 years and realized quickly that my favorite population of students to work with were those with severe behavior issues. I understood that their behaviors were a symptom of deeper issues and at their core they were sweet babies. Every single one of them.
I taught in our county's alternative school my last couple years. Every student in my class had been kicked out of either the middle school or the high school. They were proficient at upsetting those around them. It worked for them. While at their regular schools they got OUT of a lot of work by getting INTO a lot of trouble.
My FIRST WEEK on the job a young boy did something that made me so angry. I don't remember now what it was, but it was in that moment that I became aware that if I was upset and angry and emotional I could not give him what he needed. I was not there for me. I was there for those children and I wanted to make a lasting impact in their lives.
It became abundantly clear that the only person's behavior that I needed to "control" was my own. That was years ago and I still get hugs and hello's around our small town. I am so grateful for the opportunity that I was given to connect with those sweet souls.
I took off for my maternity leave for Baby #4 and never went back to teaching. I could tell that unlike after the first 3 children, life was not going to "lighten" up after the first few months. And it still hasn't! We went on to add Baby #5 and haven't slowed down. In fact, I was a Youth Minister for a year while our sweet baby Mary was just a year old!
Now that Mary is 2 years old, I am feeling some weights lifted... and like I can really breath again! Although... she's potty training and I just heard Clara yell last night from the other room "Daddy! You have GOT to come see this! Mary pooped on the floor!" Greg... being the amazing husband and father took care of that sticky situation.
And I am immensely grateful for this opportunity to share Sticker To It. I am overjoyed by the positive response to it and am so very touched by the stories of people sharing what a difference it is making in their lives. It is an honor to show people how to offer themselves the grace, the specific praise, the encouragement, and the love that they so freely extend to those around them.
I am extremely interested in human behavior... why we do what we do. And that includes me. I believe we will always be works in progress and will always have lots to learn... especially about ourselves.
I am grateful to God for Jesus Christ, as He is our ultimate example of how to do this whole human thing.
Let's get to it! Sticker To It!
Much love to you all,
AKA @hellohealthyweight (WW)
AKA Sticker Momma
View all posts by hellohealthyweight